I actually do have an underutilized home gym in my basement, complete with a True treadmill and a Pre-Cor Elliptical, just like at the Y. I also have an exercise bike, weight bench, hand weights, leg weights, a step, multiple video tapes, among other miscellaneous equipment. At one point, I was using most of these things regularly. But I haven’t really gotten into a consistent routine since I moved to my current home 6 years ago.
While I was on the elliptical yesterday, I really noticed how unappealing the space is. It’s a long narrow room with a glass block window at either end. The room is poorly lit. The equipment is clustered near the door in front of a small TV. It’s okay, but not a place that I’d want to spend time in.
So, my plan is to get started with a room makeover! Here’s the plan:
- Paint the walls a pleasant, cheerful yellow
- Post motivational sayings, like a border, around the top of the wall near the ceiling.
- Hang poster-sized photos of ocean scenes where I’ve been.
- Cover the floor with those blue carpet squares (an easy DIY project, and cheaper than getting the floor carpeted professionally – but I’ll check on the price)
- Put up new ceiling lighting to make the room brighter.
- Rearrange the exercise equipment so that it’s in the back of the room, on a diagonal line to kind of break up the long and narrow feeling in the room.
- Reserve open space at the front of the room for stretching, weight training, and floor exercise. Put a large mirror on the wall in this area too.
- 8. Get an LCD TV mounted on a swing arm, so that it can be viewed while on the exercise equipment or while in the open floor area.
- Get a small refrigerator for water
I’m excited to get started! I’ll post the after pictures when I’m finished!